Short Term Rental

On June 14, 2020 Crow Wing County passed a Short-Term Rental Licensing ordinance requiring all property owners that operate a short term rental to obtain a license through the county beginning January 1st, 2021. Licenses are renewed each year in January, regardless of when prior years license was issued. In addition to these Crow Wing County licensing requirements, it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the property meets any short-term rental requirements of the city or township in which the property is located.

Short Term Rental Licensing ordinance


Applying for a license 

Please review our helpful guide to ensure you have all the information you will need to fill out your application. 

Click here to apply for a Short-Term Rental License. 

Current septic compliance inspections are required for license approval. During the winter months an inspection is not always possible. A winter window form may be filled out and attached to your license application allowing you until July 1st to have an inspection completed. The form is only valid during the winter months and only until April 1st  each year.

Winter Window Form

If you are connected to one of the following subsurface septic treatment systems (SSTS), a city/municipal sewer or a local sanitary sewer district a wavier form will need to be filled out and attached to your application. 

Septic Compliance Inspection Waiver Form

A 24 hour, 7 days a week contact is required for all rentals. An authorized agent form is required on all applications to list who this contact is, whether it be yourself or someone acting on your behalf as an authorized agent. 

Short Term Rental Authorized Agent Form


All complaints of violations of this ordinance are handled by our 24/7 hotline which can be reached at 218-824-1132 or by filling out the online complaint form. The online form allows you to upload and submit photo evidence of the violation.

Online complaint form


A Short Term Rental License Ordinance appeal must be filed within 14 days of the notice of non-compliance. Appeal paperwork may be filled out at the Land Services Office, mailed to our office, or e-mailed to 

Appeal Application


The map below shows current licensed rentals in Crow Wing County and the emergency contact for that rental. It is still preferred that any complaints are filed through the hotline or form above. The emergency contact is contacted each time a complaint is filed. The map is updated every other month. 

Licensing Fee:

  • $200 - 2 bedroom or less
  • $300 - 3-4 bedroom
  • $400 - 5-6 bedroom
  • $500 - 7 + bedroom  

Frequently Asked Questions

 Opens in New Window 

 Opens in New Window 

 Opens in New Window 

Short Term Rental Questions? 

Email us at