Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)
MSA provides monthly cash support to help meet basic living expenses. This program is mainly for persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Monthly Benefit Amount
- A single person: Up to $81 per month
- Couples: Up to $111 per month
- A person living in a facility: Up to $75 per month (Note: There is no MSA eligibility if you reside in a GRH-Housing Support facility)
- For persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or would be eligible except for excess income.
- Are age 18+, a blind child or over age 65 and have a disability under SSI criteria.
- Total Assets less than $10,000 for non-SSI recipient and $2,000 for those receiving SSI.
- If living with others, you must have an individual lease, have your own private living/sleeping space and provide a statement indicating if you prepare, purchase, and eat food alone or with others.
MSA Special Diets
If you are on a special diet prescribed by your physician, you may be eligible for additional MSA benefits to help support the additional food costs associated with that diet. To determine if you would be eligible, A special Diet Authorization would need to be completed by your physician and submitted to the county where your benefits are being services. You are not eligible if you reside in a nursing home, regional treatment center or a group residential housing setting.
A renewal will be required every 12 months if your only income is SSI. If you have a job or other earned income, you will be required to renew your benefits every 6 months.
- You can apply online at mnbenefits.mn.gov
- Come into our agency located at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401 to pick up an application. Our agency is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call our agency at 218-824-1250 to request a paper application be mailed to you.
- Print an application and complete it by hand or complete it electronically and submit to our agency by one of the following methods:
** Each case and client is different. This is just basic information. Verifications required vary on a case by case basis. Please check with your local County Financial Worker for case specific information.