Private Forest Management
Available Information & Resources
Sustainable Forestry - A Landowner’s Manual
The information in this manual (PDF) will be very helpful if you are considering or have decided to harvest timber on your property.
Minnesota Association of Consulting Foresters (MACF)
The MACF was organized by experienced consultants in 1981 to maintain the professional standards of private forestry work. Membership and participation in the association demonstrate the continuing desire for up-to-date information and techniques, promote the best interests of clients, and strengthen the professional capabilities of the member.
Sustainably Managing Minnesota’s Forest Resources
The Minnesota Forest Resources Partnership was organized in 1995 and is recognized in State Statute, Section 89A.04. It is a voluntary, self-funded partnership of forest landowners, managers, and professional loggers dedicated to improving the health and productivity of Minnesota’s forest resources and economically viable forest dependent communities.
Information about insects and tree health is available.
University of Minnesota Forest Resources Extension
This is a great source for woodland stewardship advice such as:
- Find a forester! New interactive map of approved Minnesota Forest Stewardship Plan preparers
- Minnesota Logger Education Program - Find information on training, news, resources, and a directory of logging professionals
- My Land Plan - A resource for woodland owners, by woodland owners to help you protect and enjoy your woods
- Federal Income Tax on Timber (PDF): A Key to Your Most Frequently Asked Questions. This publication provides a quick reference on timber tax laws that are important to woodland owners. It presents a concise and easy-to-understand explanation of the most commonly asked tax questions.
- The National Timber Tax: Find information for your taxes and answers to your questions. This website was developed to be used by timberland owners, as well as a reference for accountants, attorneys, consulting foresters and other professionals who work with timberland owners regarding the tax treatment of timber related activities.