Child Protection

Intake and Referral Services

Intake Social Worker's answer phone calls and meet with the general public to provide information regarding any/all services available to address identified needs. Referrals may be made to outside agencies, if appropriate.

Individuals needing agency services will meet with an Intake Social Worker to complete an application for services. Child Protection reports are received by the Intake Social Worker. The Intake Social worker is also available to explain the reporting statutes, answer any questions regarding agency practices and services, and discuss other resources and strategies for the family to utilize. An Intake Social Worker is on duty Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and can be reached by calling 218-824-1140. For after hour emergencies, please call Law Enforcement at 218-829-4749

Child Protection Assessments

Child Protection Assessments are conducted in response to reports of maltreatment. All child protection reports received by Social Services are screened by a Child Protection screening team to determine whether the report meets the criteria established by state statutes.

We work with the various Law Enforcement agencies in the county as well as with community professionals and non-professionals to determine if the child was abused or neglected. We must also decide if child protection services are needed.

Child abuse / neglect reports can be made Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling Crow Wing County Social Services at 218-824-1140 and asking for Child Protection Intake. After hours reports can be made by calling the Crow Wing County Sheriff's Department at 218-829-4749. Reports can be made anonymously with the exception of a Mandated Reporter (Individual's working directly with children i.e. teachers, daycare providers, doctors, etc.)

Child Protection & Child Welfare Case Management

Child Protection case management services are offered to families who have a determination, that "protective services are needed". The ongoing child protection Social Worker works with families to develop case plans, which reduce the risk of abuse or neglect of children. Child Welfare case management services are provided to families who have requested services or have been referred by other agencies.

Services may include Intensive In-Home Counseling, Parenting Education, Respite Daycare or Foster Care, Out-of Home Placements, Minor Parent Assessments, Homemaker's Classes, etc.

Additional Resources