Notice to persons having their name changed

This is for informational purposes only; it is not a part of any order.

This is a reminder of some of the most common areas that may need attention after changing your name. If you have any questions about documents to complete or forms to obtain, you should contact the department or agency directly involved and not this office. For example, the Driver's License Bureau can tell you what you must do to change your driver's license.

The following is a list of items for your consideration:

  • Driver's license or Minnesota I.D. card (must be changed within 30 days)
  • Social Security registration
  • Voter's Registration
  • State and Federal tax authorities
  • Insurance companies and pension or retirement plans
  • Social Service or other entitlement programs
  • Change car titles and insurance
  • Bank accounts or other financial institutions for loans, checking, savings account
  • Amend your Will if you have 1 (see your attorney about this and other legal items)
  • Credit card accounts and other charge accounts
  • Update records at school or University
  • If you are of draft age, the registration office should be notified of your new name
  • Military benefits, if you have such rights
  • Doctor's office, dentist, pharmacy and hospital may need to update their records so future medical treatment and insurance claims can be properly processed
  • Postmaster and mail carrier
  • Passport office can be notified by submitting a Passport Amendment Form. See Passport Agent for details
  • Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as required by Minnesota Statute 259.11-13 if convicted of a felony after August 1, 2000 under Minnesota or the law of another state or federal jurisdiction